If you’re looking for an easy healthy ground beef recipe to make for dinner or to meal prep for the week, this is what you need to make. It’s a simple, yet delicious, nutritious healthy ground beef and rice skillet full of vegetables and flavor! Cleaning up after is easy as well – you’ve just got the skillet and a cutting board to take care of.
You can serve the ground beef recipe as is, or with a healthy salad on the side, some tzatziki or even guacamole. It will also do lovely with this simple cashew garlic sauce if you’re on a dairy-free diet.
The recipe calls for cooked rice and is naturally gluten-free, dairy-free and rich in protein and fiber.
Now let’s see what goes into the skillet:
Healthy Ground Beef and Rice Recipe Ingredients
Ground Beef. Use lean ground beef, it’s the main ingredient here. However, if you’ve got ground turkey or any other type of minced meat – the recipe will work with that as well.
Rice. We need cooked rice, any type of leftover rice will probably work. I used basmati rice, but cooked bulgur or quinoa should work as well.
Cauliflower. So a few years ago I started doing this thing, where I add cauliflower rice to my grain recipes – it adds the nutrition and I get to enjoy some carbs as well. But instead of buying cauliflower rice, I simply thinly chop some cauliflower or grate it using the food processor. It’s a great way to get your family to eat more vegetables without them even realizing it.
Green beans. Or peas. I used frozen green beans for some extra fiber and protein.
Spices. Whatever you like – this skillet’s got some cumin, paprika, red pepper flakes and you can add some dried herbs like oregano. Turmeric might also do well in the recipe.
Vegetables and Fresh Herbs. You don’t want to skip garlic, fresh mint (or fresh basil) and scallions in this recipe. Other than that you need some spinach and carrots. Peppers and zucchini will be lovely when in season as well!
Other ingredients. Tomato paste, stock (or water for cooking), olive oil, salt pepper and some olives make the dish complete!
How To Make The Healthy Ground Beef and Rice Skillet
Before you start making the healthy ground beef and rice skillet recipe for dinner, take out all the ingredients that you need and start preparing the vegetables.
This means, thinly chop or grate the cauliflower (if you don’t have cauliflower rice), wash and thinly chop the mint, spinach, scallions and carrot, and don’t forget to peel and mince the garlic. Once you have everything ready, heat the skillet and add the ground beef to it.
Saute the ground beef with some olive oil, cumin, paprika, and red pepper flakes plus some salt for 2-3 minutes, breaking the meat apart with the spatula.
Stir in one clove of minced garlic, the thinly chopped cauliflower or cauliflower rice, the green beans, and carrots, scallions, the tomato paste. Add water and some salt or if you wish – stock (no need for salt then) and stir, making sure to dissolve the tomato paste in it. Then cover the skillet and cook at medium for 3-4 minutes.
Next, stir in the rice, olives, spinach, the rest of the garlic and if needed, add in more water and salt. Cover again and cook for about 3 minutes
Then uncover, add more olive oil if needed and finish stirring occasionally for about 2-3 minutes or until the water has been completely absorbed.
Serve and enjoy!
I loved this healthy ground beef and rice recipe as it was. but I do love it even more with some salad and an extra sauce on the side. Here are some serving suggestions:
- Tomato Cucumber Salad
- Red Cabbage Slaw
- Garlic Cashew Sauce
- Yogurt Garlic Sauce – take one cup of yogurt, 2 minced garlic cloves, some salt and dill or parsley and mix (this is similar to tzatziki)
You get it – the skillet, a salad with whatever vegetables are in season plus some type of garlic sauce. Never skip the garlic sauce, that’s the motto!
More Easy Healthy Dinner Ideas
I hope you enjoy this healthy ground beef and rice skillet recipe for dinner as well as the leftovers the next day if you have any! And if you’re looking for other healthy dinner ideas that are super easy to put together, check out these:
- 12oz/350g lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1-2 tsp cumin
- 1-2 tsp red pepper flakes or chili flakes
- 3 cups thinly chopped cauliflower or cauliflower rice
- 1/2 cup green beans, frozen
- 2 1/2 cups spinach, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water or stock (or as needed)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1/4 cup mint, fresh leaves
- 1 carrot, thinly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 tbsp thinly chopped olives, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Take out all the ingredients that you need and start preparing the vegetables. This means, thinly chop or grate the cauliflower (if you don't have cauliflower rice), wash and thinly chop the mint, spinach, scallions and carrot, and don't forget to peel and mince the garlic. Once you have everything ready, heat the skillet and add the ground beef to it.
- Saute the ground beef with some olive oil, cumin, paprika, and red pepper flakes plus some salt for 2-3 minutes, breaking the meat apart with the spatula.
- Stir in one clove of minced garlic, the thinly chopped cauliflower or cauliflower rice, the green beans, and carrots, scallions, the tomato paste some salt and water or if you wish - stock (no need for salt then) then cover the skillet and cook at medium for 3-4 minutes.
- Next, stir in the cooked rice, spinach, the rest of the garlic and if needed, add a little more water and salt. Cover again and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Then stir in the olives and some more olive oil stirring occasionally for about 3-4 minutes (no lid).
- Serve immediately!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 453Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 80mgSodium: 392mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 8gSugar: 15gProtein: 35g