This easy chickpea curry might be becoming a favorite dinner recipe over here! It’s super easy and super quick to make, with very basic ingredients. You can make it using canned garbanzo beans, red curry paste and your dairy-free milk of choice in about 15 minutes. I might even be exaggerating!
This vegan chickpea curry taste wonderful, is comforting, creamy, and it’s gluten-free, soy-free and egg-free. Well, duh – it’s vegan. I chose to serve it without rice, because I’m trying to stay on a high-nutrient diet right now, but you can choose to serve it with some rice or quinoa, or even cauliflower rice.
Other than that, get these ingredients and see what you can make for dinner in 15 minutes tonight!
Easy Chickpea Curry Ingredients
Here’s what you need:
- Canned chickpeas – make sure to rinse and drain them real good.
- Dairy-free milk of choice – coconut milk will be the perfect addition. However, since I didn’t have any at home, I made cashew milk. Simply soak cashews in hot water for 20 minutes and then blend them until smooth.
- Red curry paste – This paste usually has all the onions and garlic you need in a recipe. You can use store-bought, but if you don’t have it right now – here’s the one I made.
- Frozen peas. I had frozen peas, so I added some to the recipe for additional fiber and protein. And for taste, of course.
- Lime leaves – or lemon grass will help to lighten the curry and provide a nice fresh lemony touch (I know I should be describing flavors for a living)
- Broccoli. Or any other vegetables you have at home. Cauliflower, carrots, zucchini, red bell pepper are all welcome in here.
- Salt, water, olive oil and coconut sugar. I know a weird combo, but definitely needed in here!
How To Make Easy Chickpea Curry
I’d like to note that this chickpea curry is not a recipe you prepare for. This is a recipe you make when you’re not prepared and you get to use whatever you have within 15 minutes. Here’s what you’ll be doing during that time:
Cut the vegetables you chose into bite-sized pieces (about 1/3 cup is enough)
Saute the curry paste with olive oil for a minute, then add some water, coconut sugar or maple syrup, salt and stir until smooth.
Add in the peas, broccoli and lemon grass or lime leaves.
Then add in the chickpeas and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
Stir in the coconut or cashew milk.
Keep stirring for 2-3 minutes and if needed add more water, salt or sweetener.
Remove the lime leaves or lemon grass and serve immediately.
More Vegan Dinner Recipes
I hope you enjoy this delicious creamy chickpea curry and make sure to also check out these vegan dinner ideas:
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (or cashew milk)
- 1 1/4 cups canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 tsp curry paste
- 1/2 cup water (or stock)
- 1 tsp coconut sugar or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup peas
- 1/4 cup broccoli florets (or other veg)
- A few lime leaves or lemon grass
- Cut the vegetables you chose into bite-sized pieces (about 1/3 cup is enough)
- Saute the curry paste with olive oil for a minute
- Then add some water, salt, the coconut sugar or maple syrup and stir until smooth
- Add in the peas, broccoli and lime leaves
- Then add in the chickpeas and cook for 2-3 more minutes
- Stir in the coconut or cashew milk
- Keep stirring for 2-3 minutes and if needed add more water, salt or sweetener
- Remove the lime leaves or lemon grass and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 410Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 681mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 8gSugar: 14gProtein: 11g